1 Oct 2008

My Wicked Birthday

Guess who is a lucky girl, then? C'est moi!!

My wonderful husband whisked me off to Melbourne this weekend to see the musical producation of Wicked!



Now our family is rather keen on the Wizard of Oz - both the Frank Baum original and the MGM film versions - but what of a musical called 'Wicked', where the plot actually explores whether people are born bad or made bad?

Ambleside uses fairytales and myths extensively in its curriculum - although admittedly not The Wizard himself, and this page talks about Christianity and fairy tales from an AO point-of-view.

I must say I agree with much of what is said here. On the other hand, in most classical fairy tales the difference between good and bad is clearly delineated. Wicked seeks deliberately to blur this boundary. I think most people will be on the side of the Wicked Witch of the West within the first five minutes of the musical... and is this a problem?

For adults, I don't think so - the writer to the Hebrews says in Chapter 5: 14:

But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have
trained themselves to distinguish good and evil.

I'm not saying that Wicked is solid food here; I am saying that as adult Christians we should be able to distinguish good from bad.

The jury is still out in our home about whether we should take Jemimah to see the production. She loves the Wizard of Oz most of all of us, but could she discern good from evil?

I'm not sure. What do you think?

P.S. If you don't know why this post is green, see the musical!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...