28 Apr 2009

A Bhutanese Fairy Tale

Once upon a time there lived a handsome king. The king was good and kind and gentle, and he was much loved by all his people. He lived in a mysterious, hidden land called Shangri-La. His name was Jigme Singye Wangchuck, and he was the Precious Ruler of the Dragon People.

The Dragon King was married to four very beautiful sisters, who lived together in the palace with their five handsome princes and their five graceful princesses.

Bhutan's Queens

Everyone was happy in the Himalayan utopia that was the land of Shangri-La.

One day the good king decided he didn't want to be king anymore. He wanted his people to stay happy in their land, and to do that he needed to make some changes to the laws of his land. They needed a new constitution, and it was time for a new king.

Luckily, the Precious Ruler of the Dragon People was a good father as well as a good king, and he had a handsome son who would make a fine new king. The prince's name was Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck.

"He will make a fine Dragon King for my people," thought the old King.

The fifth king of Bhutan, Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck at his coronation ceremony.

Sounds of giant gongs and ethereal music echoed around the white-walled Golden Throne Room of the Dragon King's palace as the kind old Dragon King placed the beautiful Raven Crown on his young son's head.

" The Land of the Thunder Dragon is now yours, my son. Rule it well," the old man said as he anointed the new young king, "Rule it well."

(Photos from here.)

PS Why, you might ask, are you being given a geography narration? Because, I would reply, we'll be there in only a few more weeks, and I'm obsessed with Bhutan. That's why! I just can't help it if some of my enthusiasm bubbles through onto the pages of my blog now, can I?)

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful colours in their costumes...how exciting to have a trip like that coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A modern fairytale wrapped in tradition! Your enthusiasm is infectious, Jeanne, and I am looking forward to more narrations.

    You also brought to mind Daniel 2:21

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne: I had one email and replied. I checked my spam but don't see any. hopewellmomschool@yahoo.com Also, I'm on FACEBOOK Lisa Hayes in Ohio. Also--the Lighthorse movie came and I picked it up this morning. I'll watch it this weekend and let you know, but I'm sure I'll like it--it's the type movie I usually love. I'm going to post about the book "We need to talk about Kevin"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story, just in the fairy tale style. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...