2 Jul 2009

Yo-yos - the biscuits

This is for Hopewellmom, who always picks me up on any Australianisms...

And these, Lisa, are yo-yos. They're not very round or very neat, but they're not too bad for a 5, 7 and 9 year old, and they taste yum-o.

Here's the recipe:

Yo-yos

Makes 2 dozen doubles

9 oz butter
3 oz custard powder
9 oz plain flour
3 oz icing sugar

Cream butter and sugar
Add flour and custard powder and mix well.
Roll into balls and press with a fork.
Bake 375° for about 10 min.
Stick together with vanilla butter icing

P.S. I've given Imperial measurements, 'cause I reckon most of you Aussies have a good yo-yo recipe of your own...If you want the Metric equivalents, just yell!

Can you see why they're called yo-yos? Do let me know if you make them...

8 comments:

  1. Could you give me the metric please?The recipe is by weight?? In Canada almost everything is by volume....

    http://maplehillacademy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all great fans of yo-yo's in this household. Well done kiddies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Suzuki Mom:

    270g butter
    90g custard powder
    270g plain flour
    90g icing sugar

    180°C

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzie, you can substitute corn flour for the custard power. Then they're called Melting Moments. They taste different, but they're still pretty yummy.

    (Before you ask, corn flour is what you call cornstarch...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those do look yummy! I like the metric measurements, actually, but I was also baffled by the custard powder. I wonder if we have that in Japan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sound and look delicious!
    Blessings,
    Jillian
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lizzie--I had a one-on-one tutorial in Aussie/British cooking English in Peace Corps from an Aussie ex-pat who'd done a tour in NY State! So confusing--why can't they just speak ENGLISH?! lol...
    Yo-yos?? SANDWICH COOKIES!! Now I get it!

    Now if we could only get Golden Syrup.....

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...