5 Sept 2009

The Actual Winner

Well at least it makes it easy to choose a winner when only one person enters...

It seems you can't even give things away nowadays!!!

Congratulations, Joel on winning The Actual Day Present.

The drawings on these tea towels are the work of patients at the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital. Most of the patients are from rural areas where literacy levels are low and little importance is placed on girls attending school. Some of the patients who drew the designs had never even held a pencil before.

The Addis Ababa Hospital acknowledges all supporters, knowing that it helps them bring comfort and pleasure to these most needy of women.

2009 marks 50 years since Dr Catherine Hamlin AC and her late husband, Dr Reg Hamlin OBE arrived in Ethiopia and started their work of helping the destitute women who suffer from obstetric fistula. Now aged 85 Dr Hamlin still actively performs surgical and clinical work. Her hospitals have treated over 32,000 women.
My work is a labour of love, I love being there, I love the people and I feel that I've got a job now to try to prevent this injury before I die, to try to set up something that will carry on in the future and will prevent this terrible catastrophe.

I just want the world to know that there are women suffering and there's something that can be done about it.
For more information:

www.fistulatrust.org

Can you email me, Joel and we'll organise getting your gift to you. Congratulations again. (If you've mislaid my email address, I'll be in touch with you, okay!!)

PS I used the time in American Samoa as the cut off. I think it is no longer Friday anywhere!!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Joel!
    I'm sorry I couldn't quite get it in gear, Jeanne. My search for the perfect blank outline maps is still going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeanne, not just for the lovely teatowel, but for the reminder it will be to me of the plight of these women. No dish drying with this one!! I'll be in touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Joel!
    Sorry Jeanne, I didn't enter that one :-/
    I did however read the original blog post (a while ago now) on the fistula hospital and looked at your link to their website. It is great stuff they are doing there. I remember a friend telling me about the book a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only just had the chance to watch the youtube video! wow! what an eye opener, had never heard of that before!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...