14 Sept 2011

20 Top Early Childhood Songs



The Deputy Headmistress is asking for your list of the most important 20 songs of early childhood. Here's mine:
  1. Mary Had a Little Lamb
  2. London Bridge
  3. Jack and Jill
  4. Ring a Ring o' Roses
  5. Three Blind Mice
  6. Humpty Dumpty
  7. Hickory Dickory Dock
  8. Baa Baa Black Sheep
  9. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
  10. Little Bo Peep
  11. Old McDonald had a Farm
  12. Sing a Song of Sixpence
  13. Jesus Loves Me
  14. Polly Put the Kettle On
  15. Row Row Row your Boat
  16. I'm a Little Teapot
  17. Miss Polly Had a Dolly
  18. The Farmer in the Dell
  19. Incy Wincy Spider
  20. Here we Go Round the Mulberry Bush

There are lots and lots once you get started. What would you add? Don't forget the rules - if you add one, you have to delete one as well!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this list! I would add "Jesus Loves the Little Children" :) I sing it to my almost-3yo son every day twice, before his nap and before bedtime. (We also sing "Jesus Loves Me.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even sure if it qualifies as a traditional nursery song, but our list would have to include "The Wheels on the Bus" for sure. I had to sing that one to Nutkin every single day at nap time for roughly five years (he was by far my longest napper!). I guess I would put that in place of Miss Polly Had a Dolly, since I don't know that one - at least I can't recall it.

    I always loved Jesus Loves the Little Children, but my daughter hated it when she was little, because, in her words, "Daddy is NOT yellow, and Native Americans are NOT red!" She found that highly offensive. I couldn't say much about that being lily white myself, so it was dropped from our list. Bummer!

    Of course, lots of other children's praise songs could be added to the list, but that would make for one long list!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...