16 Nov 2011

Strawberry Fair

As I was going to Strawberry Fair,
Singing, singing, Butter-cups and Daisies
I met a maiden taking her ware,
Fol-de-dee!
Her eyes were blue and golden her hair,
As she went on to Strawberry Fair,
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-li-do,
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-dee.

"Kind Sir, pray pick of my basket!" she said,
Singing, singing, Butter-cups and Daisies
"My cherries ripe, or my roses red,
Fol-de-dee!
My strawberries sweet, I can of them spare,
As I go on to Strawberry Fair."
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-li-do,
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-dee.

I want to purchase a generous heart,
Singing, singing, Butter-cups and Daisies
A tongue that neither is nimble or tart.
Tol-de-dee!
An honest mind, but such trifles are rare
I doubt if they're found at Strawberry Fair.
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-li-do,
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-dee.

The price I offer, my sweet pretty maid
Singing, singing, Butter-cups and Daisies
A ring of gold on your finger displayed,
Tol-de-dee!
So come- make over to me your ware,
In church today at Strawberry Fair.
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-li-do,
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-dee
I'm afraid you just have to face facts, city mice friends. There are some things that we country mice just do better. Like Strawberry Fairs. Can you really imagine a Strawberry Fair in the city? Really? Ahem, I didn't think so.

Some of the ladies in the Uniting Ladies didn't want to run it this year. Because of the flood. They were over-ruled by the other Uniting Ladies who said that they had to run it. Because of the flood. As you do. Anyhow, they did run it and it was as wonderful as ever. I'm ever so glad that they were re-United. Sorry.

I'm also sorry I didn't take my camera, so you have only two lousy photos, and those taken with my phone, but imagine, if you will rows of tables each covered with hand embroidered tablecloths and little bunches of delightful spring flowers. The tea candles are in glasses, each with its own hand knitted jacket of baby blue.

There are rows of beautifully dressed ladies of a certain age, or older, eating from delightfully non-matching plates of mixed sandwiches - nothing fancy, just the old reliable fillings that they've always had - egg, ham, tomato and onion, devilled ham paste, coleslaw (who else but the Uniting ladies do coleslaw sandwiches, I ask you). Anyhow, I think you have the idea. Six points and a sprig of parsley. The curly type. (Is there another?)

Later on, cut crystal bowls of strawberries and vanilla icecream. Cups of coffee or tea. Lots of laughter.

Afterwards you can take your pick of plants from the plant stall, or fill your basket with punnets of ripe red strawberries to take home. I did both. You can browse the craft stall, or just sit in the sun and chat to the ladies. I love talking to ladies of a certain age, or older. So much wisdom. So gracious. So appreciative. So complimentary.

Sometimes I so love being a country mouse.
So come- make over to me your ware,
In church today at Strawberry Fair.
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-li-do,
Ri-fol, Ri-fol, Tol-de-riddle-dee

3 comments:

  1. I think I would like to e a country mouse sometimes but God has other plans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a strawberry fair just near us last Sunday, but alas, nothing as lovely as you've descibed. In fact rather more loud, fast and well....cityish :(
    (I didnt manage to go either).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I know a FABULOUS Strawberry Festival in a city--Indianapolis' Episcopal Cathedral on the Circle holds one each year--all homemade shortcake, locally grown strawberries, real vanilla ice cream and REAL whipped cream--not our of a can!! It's one of the things I miss most about leaving Indianapolis. No one is at their desk that day--everyone goes to the Strawberry Festival, waits unusually patiently in line (many of these are lawyers--no patience!). A few weeks later we'd do it all again at the Boy Scouts Great Cook Out!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...