2 Apr 2012

Rounds for singing



We love singing rounds in our Peaceful Home. You only have to remember The Sound of Music to realise how great they are for learning to sing in parts. Suddenly you go from singing in unison to carrying your own part with no effort at all. Bingo. Well, it worked for the von Trapps anyhow, so it must be true.

Anyhow, for Naomi, who was looking, here are some of our favourites:

Kiddie songs that you probably already know

Row, Row Row your Boat
Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree
Rock my Soul in the Bosom of Abraham
One Bottle of Pop
London's Burning
Three Blind Mice
Frere Jacques (Are You Sleeping, Brother John?)
Ging gang gooli, gooli, gooli, gooli gotcha

More grown up, but no less fun

Sumer is Icumen in



Hey Ho Nobody Home (this is Jemimah's favourite)



Gaudeamus Hodie



By The Rivers of Babylon (this is my favourite)



Dona Nobis Pacem



Have I left out your favourite? Share the Youtube link in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. These are a great exercise in concentration for ADD kids. I used to do [dare I admit it?] a Meatloaf chorus with Star. It took her about 6 months to learn to hold her place regardless of what tune or words I was singing. It took another 6 for her to learn not to get rattled by whatever I did. One of her strengths now is keeping her part rock solid.

    Love. love, love Babylon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know some of these songs:) Just 'diggoed' as I'm inspired to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used 137 in my last post! it is lovely here. Remember bony m?
    I am familiar with some of the rounds above but was always hopeless at them. (It would help of course if I could sing !) Always great fun though. One I remember from singsongs is about a cuckoo but I'm not sure of the name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Within a shady thicket, a cuckoo singeth clear? I had totally forgotten that one. Thanks, Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! I'll have to come back to this when Rebekah is awake and listen to these with her:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...