17 Dec 2012

Widdicombe Fair

We're back to a term of English folksongs for first term.  As you will be aware, this is one of the few places that I diverge from AO recommendations, feeling strongly that we should study folksongs in groups with a theme or from a country or region rather than in a random unconnected order, in order to better appreciate differences and similarities between them.

Widdicombe Fair is one of my favourite English folksongs, and I plan on teaching it next term using a lovely old picturebook of the song that I blogged about here, as well as a Youtube video or two. 

I was delighted, though to discover this British Film Council animation of the song, which will make it much more fun, I reckon.  It's here.  They also have one for The Lincolnshire Poacher, which we'll study as well. More on our folksong lineup coming as I put it together!







3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanne, don't know if you knew that Widecombe Fair is still held annually in September!I've never been but I believe it is very well attended. Widecombe village is on Dartmoor in Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did know that. It came up when I wrote the post on the picture book. It looks fun. I think you'll have to go and report back in the interests of investigative journalism, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting how many ways the name is spelled!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...