18 May 2013

Lost in the bush



My family got lost in Kara Kara State Park yesterday. All of them.  Husband.  Daughter.  Dog.

I first learnt about it by text at 11:48 am, 2 hours and 48 minutes after they'd set out for a short postprandial stroll.  It was probably a good thing that I learned about it so late, actually, since I was supposed to be concentrating on the conference speaker, and I certainly was not after I received that text.  Fortunately, it was not many minutes after that first message that I received a second, letting me know that they had worked out their location using the map on hubby's trusty iPhone.  Only thing was, Taltarni, where they were, was a rather long way from Warrenmang where I was, so I had to wait a good while longer before they actually walked through the door.

I was kinda happy to see them.

Apart from a raging thirst (Who goes for a walk in the Australian bush without water, I ask you.  Easy to see that my husband is a British alien), and rather sore feet, they were no worse for wear, although all three did sleep particularly soundly last night.  The dog, in particular was shattered.

Now that they're home safe and sound, it really is a great adventure - a story to dine out on as it were.  Things like this are always funner after the event, aren't they?

Here are some photos of the first part of their journey.  They stopped taking happy snaps for Mummy when things got serious.







10 comments:

  1. Glad all are safe...nice pictures though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you're home safely from being lost, it's fun having a story to tell! I'm so glad your story had a happy ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a group of friends who got lost on a bush walk last weekend and had to sleep out overnight. It's a big adventure now.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! So glad they were ok! My father in law says "what's a pain to endure is a pleasure to recount" or something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. It's those mad dogs and Englishmen again! Glad we didn't hear about it on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad they are safe and people do get lost and its horrible. Lovely early winter shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, love the one with the shadow, creative! Talk about the science of relations! Glad they are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, that last picture, is that lichen? We have the very same one on our rocks here in Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would call it a moss, rather than a lichen, because it is a plant, not a fungus. I don't know its name, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always MUCH better after the event! Lovely pics though! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...