19 Jan 2015

From my Book of Firsts

It is a capital plan for the children to keep a calendar––the first oak-leaf, the first tadpole, the first cowslip, the first catkin, the first ripe blackberries, where seen, and when. The next year they will know when and where to look out for their favourites, and will, every year, be in a condition to add new observations. Think of the zest and interest, the object, which such a practice will give to daily walks and little excursions.

Charlotte Mason, Home Education p. 54

Jemimah and I both made the first entry in our Book of Firsts today, and what a perfect first entry it was.

It was delicious. Imagine a sweet nectarine fresh from the tree, so perfectly ripe that the warm juice runs down your arm as you eat, making you all sticky, but happy to be alive. The simple pleasures really are the best, aren't they?

I purchased our Books of Firsts from Red Mountain Community School, and I just love it. You can find yours here.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Adding that quote to the back of my nature journal...we started listing firsts just on loose-leaf paper, now in a list in our nature journal. This book looks lovely! :) YUM. Nectarines.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...