17 Aug 2013

Back to the grindstone



And so my lovely holiday draws to a close. Six wonderful weeks.  Tomorrow, after church, and a party to celebrate the birthdays of both my brother-in-law and my nephew, I'll be on my way home.  Jemimah and her Daddy will be heading home too, and by tomorrow night we'll all be together.  As it should be. A family.  It seems so long - six weeks since we've been at home, six weeks since we've done formal school.

On Monday we'll be starting back into Term 3 of AO6.  We'll sort of be in Week 3, I think, although we're going to need to get our running shoes on a bit because we have more travel planned before the end of the year, and I really want to have a summer break as well.  Yes, I know, I want it all - breaks during the year, breaks at the end.  I'm just not satisfied.  Having November and December off just works for me, you see.  Plenty of time to get carried away by Christmas and the Basket of Delights and all that gumph that upsets people.

Okay.  I digress, as usual.  School.   I think we're going to need a bit of review.  I know we've started Galileo and the Magic Numbers, but I can't remember any of it.  Chances are Jemimah won't either.  Ditto maths and The Iliad.  We have been keeping up with Ben Hur while we've been away, but the rest is rather a blur.  We're doing some Astronomy this term, and reading The Search for Planet X by Tony Simon to go along with that.  Those are both new for next week.  I can't remember if Jemimah is reading anything.  I'm reading aloud  20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, I recall.  We're really liking that book.  There's a film due out sometime soon.  Don't know that it's my kinda scene, though.



It is tempting to include our travels as school - we've certainly learned heaps, but somehow I don't think its in the spirit of CM to count it as school.  Travel is real life, not school.  We still need to get done what needs to get done.  Oh, the misery of it all!!

I started packing up my book purchases this evening.  I think I've bought far too many.  When you buy two or three a day, it doesn't seem like much, but when you add them all together - oh my!  I hope my husband still loves me!  I think I am going to have to borrow a toddler.  I felt sad in my foraging to be spending time in the Science and Natural History sections of the bookstores rather than the Children's Classics, but Jemimah is 11, and heading into AO7, and I really can't justify that many more kids' books.  Grandkids are really quite a way off still - I married late, you see.  Second thoughts, that may just save my marriage... Buying less kids' books, I mean.

Ahem.  We're studying Jewish folksongs this term - we're off to the Bible Lands soon.  A Comedy of Errors is our Shakespeare play, and we're seeing it performed next weekend.  Brahms is our composer.  Again.  We didn't get finished with his bio last term, and with this being a short term and all, well I jut thought we'd spend a bit more time.  La Sylphide and Cinderella are our ballets.  Colossians 1: 15-23 is our memory passage in English; we're finishing up Psalm 23 in French.  I can't remember who we're doing for picture study.  Maybe Walter Withers?  I know he's an Aussie, and I know we've already started.  I'll have to let you know.

Well that's about it for me.  I really should finish packing.  I'll try to put together a slideshow of our American trip if any of you would like to see what we were up to while we were away.  I've missed you all, and I'm glad to be back.  What would you like to talk about next?  What have you all been doing?  Have you missed me too?  Talk to me girlies!

4 comments:

  1. Jeanne, you do not sound like your usual sharp self in this post. I think you need a day or two to get sorted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have you back. Although it doesn't really seem like you have been gone, with you keeping us all informed on the other social network.

    Your schedule sounds very full and enriching. We have 2-3 weeks left of AO y3 term 2, maybe earlier if I do double readings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just letting you know I've stopped in for a quick read. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear your plans. I will enjoy reading about all the performances you will be seeing! I love to go! You were only about a 7 hour drive (In Tennessee) from Lew Wallace's home, so interesting that you kept up Ben Hur while you were here!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...