Today we'll be:
- Listening to Mary Black ;
- Baking and eating Irish Soda Bread with lashings of butter and Lyle's Golden Syrup;
- Reading about St Patrick in Trial and Triumph whilst munching on Allen's Lolly Snakes Alive;
- Wearing green and shamrocks and pinching those who don't;
- Drinking green champagne (big people) or green lemonade (small one);
- Feasting on Beef and Guinness Stew with Irish Champ followed by Apple Duff smothered with whipped cream;
- Reading Valley of the Wolves and How Cú Chulainn got his Name;
- Planting sweet peas. (Where did this tradition come from, do you think? Do the flowers suffer if you plant them a day earlier or later?);
- Drinking a toast to all of you, my friends:
Saint Patrick was a gentleman,
Who through strategy and stealth,
Drove all the snakes from Ireland,
Here’s a toasting to his health.
But not too many toastings
Lest you lose yourself and then
Forget the good Saint Patrick
And see all those snakes again.
'Beannachtam na Feile Padraig!'
Happy St. Patrick's Day!